Refurbishing the fabric of the 1889 railway building is the first phase of its regeneration as a community arts, entertainment and social venue for the area.
The work and changes were planned by local practice Clark & Maslin and carried out by Stonewood Builders between June 2016 and February 2017.
Externally, the building was re-roofed, damaged brickwork repaired, and a new annexe built at the south end (using matching materials) to house a kitchen and services. A small steel and glass foyer in front of the massive loading bay doors creates a weather tight public entrance to the auditorium.
Inside, the building is fully-insulated and warmed by an underfloor heating system.
Phase 1 was formally opened by HRH The Prince of Wales on 22 December 2016.
Floor plan showing tiered seating extended (seats scheduled to be installed March 2017)
Front elevation with new annexe on right and small glass foyer beneath the loading bay canopy
Taken at the completion of Phase 1. The goods hall in December 2016.
A similar viewpoint three years earlier at the first carol concert at the Shed, before removal of the internal platform in 2014
Goods hall in 2014 looking south
In 2016 looking north towards where the previous picture was taken.