The history of the Tetbury Goods Shed and Rail Lands
The Great Western Railway branch line from Kemble to Tetbury opened to a fanfare on 2nd December 1889, ran increasingly quietly for seven decades and was closed by the Beeching cuts on 4 April 1964. The final train was a steam-hauled special on 5th April 1964 organised by the Gloucester Railway Society. Stephen Randolph's marvellous book An Illustrated History of the Tetbury Branch, from which many of these photos are taken, documents its journey from Victorian gleaming brass and polished woodwork to Sixties dilapidation. The book is now out of print but the Trust is looking into supporting a reprint.
Click on the main photo to open the gallery.